This chicken wings recipe is an easy way to enjoy fresh free-range chicken and comes infused with layers of enticing flavours.
The wings are the basis for a main meal with rice, or you can simply serve them on their own as a starter to get your taste buds primed for the next course.
We recommend free-range chicken simply because it yields the best results — your meal will be tastier and healthier because it’s free of added hormones and antibiotics.
You’ll also be able to enjoy it all the more knowing free-range animals are raised to the highest welfare standards. And if you shop local, you’ll know that you are doing your bit for the environment and the community around you too!
More about chicken…
Chicken is a lean meat that’s packed full of protein but low in calories. It’s a great basis for a healthy meal that will fill up even the hungriest of family members.
Recipes for chicken wings make the most of this juicy and flavourful part of the bird, an excellent alternative to other cuts of chicken. Because of their small size, wings are quick to cook and make the perfect finger food for parties and family gatherings.
What makes this dish special?
If we could pick out one element of this recipe that makes it extra special, it would be the combination of caramelised sugar that contrasts so beautifully with the fire and tanginess of the typically Asian ingredients like chilli, ginger and lime.
When you’re making the caramel, make sure that it appears dark. As it cooks and darkens, it loses some of its sweetness to give a slightly bitter taste full of richness.
While the taste is divine, this dish looks the part too. The sauce that you’ll end up with will be thick, sticky and have a tantalising sheen, while the spring onion, chilli and ginger add a freshness that’s hard to resist.
What goes with this dish?
We’ve suggested plain steamed rice as the perfect accompaniment to this dish, but your options are endless.
A side serving of coleslaw salad will provide a creaminess to contrast the bitter caramel of this dish. A creamy cucumber, onion and yoghurt salad is also a great choice.
Or why not try crispy, baked vegetables covered with breadcrumbs? You can use any veggie you like, from zucchini to cauliflower and capsicum — whatever you happen to have at home.
If you’re using this dish as the main course, serve a lighter dish like chicken noodle soup as the starter to whet your appetite.
Get stuck into the wonderfully rich, bitter-sweet caramel sauce that adds an intriguing dimension to this exotic dish.
- 100 grams golden caster sugar
- 4 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 1 Birds eye chilli (green and halved)
- 10 grams cinnamon bark
- 15 grams Fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 Lime (large one)
- free-range chicken wings (with the tips removed, halved)
- white rice (Steamed white rice to serve)
For the garnish
- Place the sugar in a pan with just enough water to make a paste-like consistency. Place over a low heat and bring to a boil, cooking until you have a dark-coloured caramel.
- Add all the other ingredients apart from the chicken and garnish and bring to a simmer. Take care as the mixture will spit. Once the sauce begins to thicken, add the wings and stir until they are thoroughly coated.
- Add 100 ml water and simmer over a medium heat for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens again.
- Reduce the heat, put the lid on your saucepan and cook for another 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. You’ll know the wings are ready when they are tender and the sauce is very thick.
- Turn off the heat and add half the ginger, chilli and spring onion. Transfer the wings and sauce to a serving platter. Add the coriander and remaining garnish and serve with the extra lime and plain steamed rice.
Order free-range chicken wings from your local online butcher
This is a fantastic recipe that will produce gorgeously sticky and flavoursome Asian-style chicken wings in just a few simple steps.
Make it extra special by sourcing your wings from Church Street Butcher, based here in Melbourne. By offering only free-range meats raised to the highest welfare standards, you know that you are buying both quality and flavour!
Call in and see us in our Brighton store or place your order for your free-range chicken, pork, beef or lamb online. We offer free delivery on orders over $80 to Brighton and the surrounding suburbs.