There are lots of reasons to give this pork recipe a try. Not only is it packed full of flavour, but it’s also incredibly easy to prepare — just let the slow cooker do the work for you! While it’s cooking, enjoy the release of tantalising aromas to get your tastebuds ready for a bouquet of exotic flavours.
After three hours in the slow cooker, the result is a flavoursome and nutritious meal that’s perfect for the upcoming winter evenings.
What is massaman curry?
It’s a traditional mild Thai curry that has influences from India and Malaysia. Massaman curry uses meat and potatoes, making it a filling and satisfying meal.
It draws on distinctive Thai flavours such as coconut milk, coriander, chilli and peanuts, blending them in a dish that’s welcoming and full of layers of deliciousness!
Why choose pork?
Pork works beautifully in this recipe and lends itself well to slow cooking, which draws out the flavour and gives it a melt-in-the-mouth texture.
Like other meats, pork is high in protein, which is essential for helping your body grow and repair tissue. It’s also rich in vitamin B1, which helps transport energy around your body, and the mineral zinc, which boosts your immune system.
For the healthiest option, source pork from your local free-range butcher. Choosing free-range means that your meat will be of the highest quality and free of added antibiotics, hormones and additives.
What to serve with this recipe
We’ve suggested steamed jasmine rice here, or you could use coconut or brown rice.
An Asian slaw is the perfect companion to this recipe, thanks to its fresh flavours that complement the creamy coconut sauce.
Vegetable spring rolls make another great side dish to serve alongside this delicious curry.
Can I make substitutions?
Yes, you can certainly make swaps for some of the ingredients in this recipe.
While we’ve chosen free-range pork for this recipe as it tenderises beautifully in the slow cooker, it works just as well with free-range lamb or beef. The secret is in the three hours’ cooking, which will make any meat you choose soft as butter in your mouth.
If you have a peanut allergy to cater for, simply leave out the roasted peanuts garnish. If you want a bit of extra flavour and texture, use crispy fried onion or pumpkin or sunflower seeds instead.
[Space for recipe]
- 1.2 kilogram Pork scotch fillet (diced)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 Brown onion (finely chopped)
- 2 long Red chillies (deseeded and thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup Store-bought massaman curry paste
- 2 Carrots (peeled and thickly sliced)
- 400 mililitre Can coconut milk
- 500 gram Small chat potatoes (halved)
- Steamed jasmine rice, coriander sprigs, sliced red chilli and roasted peanuts (to serve)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and chilli and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add pork and stir in the curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add carrots, coconut milk and potatoes. Stir until combined and mixture comes to the boil.
- Transfer pork mixture to a slow cooker. Cook on High for 3 hours or until tender and cooked through. Season to taste.
- Serve with steamed rice, coriander, sliced red chilli and roasted chopped peanuts.
Choose free-range pork for this tasty recipe
If you haven’t already tried Thai cooking, now is your chance. This recipe is so easy to prepare and will give you a guaranteed delicious result.
Take care over sourcing the best quality ingredients you can find, which includes opting for free-range pork — the healthier, tastier and more ethical choice.
Here at Church Street Butcher, your local free-range butcher in Melbourne, we sell only Australian Certified Outdoor Bred pork.
This means animals are raised humanely in straw-lined shelters, giving them a happier and healthier life. They are also free from added chemicals and hormones so that you get the best flavour on your plate.
You’ll also love to know that our pork is produced locally, making our meat more sustainable.
Come by and see us on Church Street, Brighton, or take advantage of our online ordering service for the freshest, healthiest pork — and other meats — to make your cooking a hit!