Chicken has got to be nearly everyone’s favourite meat. It’s endlessly versatile and works in all sorts of cuisines. It’s lean and healthy, too.
Buy free-range chicken, and you’ll notice the superior quality of meat from animals raised to the highest welfare standards. It’s also free of added antibiotics and hormones, making it a safer – as well as tastier – choice for you and your family.
If you’ve ever visited Southeast Asia, you’ll recognise the carefully blended combination of flavours in this recipe, from garlic and chilli through to fresh Thai basil and coriander.
Pair them with fresh, succulent free-range chicken, and you have a match made in heaven!
Talk me through the ingredients…
Fresh free-range chicken is a must for this recipe. Get it from your online butcher or over the counter and know that you’re doing your bit to eat ethically and cleanly. Boneless and skinless thighs are perfect for this dish.
Chicken is one of those cooking staples that can do no wrong: it’s full of protein and has fewer calories compared to other meats. It’s also easy to cook, and it would be hard to set a foot wrong with this easy-to-follow recipe.
You’ll find a wealth of flavours in the marinade. The fish and soy sauces offer an unmistakable
Southeast Asian tang to the chicken. Enjoy the contrast with the freshness of Thai basil, Vietnamese mint and coriander. Meanwhile, lime juice, garlic and olive oil add further depth to this tantalising concoction of flavours, and you’ll get a spicy kick from the chilli.
How can I adapt this recipe for non-meat eaters?
If you’re catering for those on a plant-based diet, try chunks of tofu or tempeh (fermented cooked soy beans) or mushrooms on our skewers instead of chicken.
What can I serve with my skewers?
This healthy recipe deserves a nutritious side dish. Prepare a healthy white bean salad with red onion, black olives, chunks of celery and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
For a hearty and filling side, roast some cauliflower sprinkled with parmesan cheese and topped with freshly chopped parsley.
Or start with chicken noodle soup to set the poultry theme. This easy recipe will certainly pique your appetite and prepare your palette for the sizzling flavours of our Thai chicken skews.
The delicious marinade brings out the juiciness of free-range chicken in this recipe.
For the marinade
- 3 tablespoons Lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon Chilli flakes (( or birds-eye chilli finely diced))
- 2 tablespoons Thai basil (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese Mint (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (finely chopped)
- 600 grams free-range chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
- Cut the chicken into 3 cm squares ready for skewering. ( or ask your butcher to do this when buying)
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade by whisking. Place the chicken pieces in a dish and pour the marinade over. Stir to coat.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to overnight. If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water while the chicken marinates.
- Prepare your BBQ or spray a large frying pan with olive oil. Cook the chicken for around 25 minutes, turning regularly so that it’s brown all over and cooked through.
- See our serving suggestions for side dishes or simply add a fresh, green salad.
Fresh, free-range chicken from your local online butcher
Skewers with chicken that’s fresh and free-range will satisfy your appetite the healthy way.
Source quality chicken and other meats from Church Street Butcher, your local friendly butcher based in Melbourne.
We offer both an over-the-counter and online service, delivering our quality produce directly to your door.
Our chicken is free-range, free of antibiotics and hormones and from animals raised the natural way to the highest welfare standards. That’s why you can rely on Church Street Butcher for fresh and delicious chicken packed full of flavour!