Argentinian cuisine is renowned for its use of meat and intriguing flavours. We’ve chosen lean, tasty rump steak for this recipe to capture the spirit of this lively South American nation.
Our kebabs are perfect for cooking on the BBQ, and the accompaniment of sweet potatoes and salad provides a complete and nutritious meal.
We recommend our grass-fed, free-range beef to create this dish. Our animals are raised on the pasturelands of southern Australia, without the use of added hormones or antibiotics.
As a responsible free-range butcher, we believe in supplying the finest quality meat, raised sustainably to stringent animal welfare standards.
This makes us your first choice for healthy and delicious meat, elevating cooking and mealtimes to an enjoyable experience.
Surprisingly healthy steak
Did you know that red meat plays a part in a balanced diet and is surprisingly healthy?
It’s high in protein and offers all nine of the essential amino acids we need for growth.
Beef is also packed with the B vitamins needed for blood formation and to keep your brain and nervous system healthy.
You’ll also find lots of zinc to keep your immune system on top form and iron, which helps transport oxygen around the body.
These health benefits are multiplied when you choose grass-fed meat, like the rump steak in our recipe.
Grass-fed beef tends to contain less fat than its grain-fed equivalent and has more vitamins, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, essential for heart health.
- 750 gram Rump steak (cubed)
- ½ cup White vinegar
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- ¼ Brown onion (grated)
- 2 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Dried mixed herbs
- 1½ teaspoon Ground cumin
- 2–3 Capsicums (cut into 3 cm pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Red wine vinegar
- ½ cup Parsley leaves firmly packed (finely chopped)
- ¼ Brown onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ small Red capsicum, or 2 long red chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- To make the chimichurri, combine all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine marinade ingredients (white vinegar through to cumin) in a large zip-top bag or ceramic dish. Add beef, stir to coat, and marinate for 30 mins.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade. Thread meat onto skewers, alternating a piece of capsicum between each piece of beef, and season with salt and pepper. Preheat BBQ or a heavy-based pan to high. Cook skewers, turning to sear all sides, for 4–5 mins.
- Cut corn kernels off the cob. Combine corn, roasted sweet potato, and rocket on a large platter. Drizzle over 1–2 tbsp chimichurri sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve beef skewers with salad and chimichurri.
Versatile rump steak
The rump steak we’ve suggested for this recipe is the perfect cut for our kebabs. It’s taken from the muscly back of the cow, near the hind leg. This makes it a lean cut, ideal if you’re watching your weight or just want to eat healthily.
Not just good for BBQs, rump steak is a versatile cut that can be used in a variety of recipes.
You can add it to the slow cooker for a warming stroganoff dish, use it in spicy curries or pan-fry it.
If you choose this method, remove your steak from the fridge for 20 minutes beforehand to get it up to room temperature so it cooks evenly.
Pat it dry and sprinkle with salt before adding it to a smoking hot pan. Fry for 4-6 minutes on each side for medium and serve with mashed potatoes and green vegetables for a delicious meal.
Your local grass-fed butcher Melbourne
Source sustainable and ethical rump steak and other meats from Church Street Butcher, your local grass-fed butcher here in Melbourne.
Choose from our home delivery or over-the-counter options for locally sourced meat that’s better for the environment and better for you.
All our meat options are from animals reared outdoors to the highest ethical standards. This means that you get to eat healthy, tasty meat and can enjoy it all the more knowing that it reflects your green values.